Grifols is committed to bringing you the latest in rabies education, information, and training to help ensure you are providing the best care for patients. So when a patient presents with a potential exposure, there are fewer uncertainties around what needs to be done.
Patient Informational Sheet
Grifols also makes patient-targeted educational material available so every patient may understand what they are being administered and why a human rabies immune globulin is necessary for their safety in the event of a suspected exposure to rabies.
Patient Assistance Program
No patient should have to face the threat of rabies. That's why Grifols created the Patient Assistance Program (PAP), to ensure uninsured patients have access to treatment with HyperRAB. Patients applying for assistance through the PAP must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for assistance:
- Earn an annual gross income of 250% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) or less. If the annual gross income exceeds 250% of FPL, PAP denial will be issued
- Patients must be uninsured in order to be eligible for product assistance
- Documentation of proof of income
- Diagnosis and dosing must be consistent with FDA-approved label
- Must be a US citizen or resident and must physically reside in the US or US territory, Puerto Rico, or other US territories
- Under the care of a US licensed prescriber with an established practice located in the US
- Documentation of proof of residency will not routinely be required but may be requested at any time by the program through an audit (eg, copy of current valid driver's license or recent utility bill)
- Patient will receive 1 dose as prescribed
- Federally funded patients are not eligible to receive assistance through the PAP. This includes but it not limited to Medicare, Medicaid (including spend downs), Tricare, and VA benefits
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
HyperRAB is a higher concentration HRIG product (300 IU/mL), resulting in a lower volume per dose administered (compared to products concentrated at 150 IU/mL). For patients, this may mean fewer injections.1
HyperRAB (300 IU/mL) is a higher concentration product. Therefore, HCPs are not only able to administer more rabies antibodies directly into the wound site, but also administer a lower volume to complete the dose for each patient.1
HyperRAB remains stable and safe to use for 3 years when kept at a temperature of 2 to 8°C (36 to 46°F), which helps to reduce the risk of unused and expired inventory. Additionally, HyperRAB can be safely stored at room temperature (not to exceed 25°C [77°F]) for up to 6 months at any time prior to the expiration date, after which the product must be used or discarded. Do not return to refrigeration. Do not freeze HyperRAB.1
Per the labeled indication, the rabies vaccine and HyperRAB should be administered to all individuals exposed to rabies, with the exception of those who have been previously immunized with the rabies vaccine. Although the safety and efficacy of HyperRAB in the pediatric population have not been established, the dosing regimen provided in the full Prescribing Information applies to all individuals, including children. Please contact Grifols Medical Information at 1-800-520-2807 for more information.1
HyperRAB (300 IU/mL) is manufactured using a sophisticated caprylate/chromatography purification process, which significantly reduces procoagulant activity and product impurities such as immunoglobulin G (IgG) aggregates.
Administration of HyperRAB resulted in detectable titers of neutralizing antibodies to the rabies virus that persisted throughout the 21-day study period. Caprylate/chromatography-purified HyperRAB produced a rapid increase in rabies neutralizing antibodies within 24 hours, peaked on day 4, and was maintained through day 21. These results support the conclusion that HyperRAB administration provides reproducible passive transfer of neutralizing antibodies. The single 20 IU/kg intramuscular dose of HyperRAB was safe and well tolerated. HyperRAB should provide adequate passive adjunctive treatment when combined with vaccination in accordance with guidelines for rabies postexposure prophylaxis.1
HyperRAB is available through all major specialty plasma distributors. In most instances, you should be able to gain access to HyperRAB through your existing distributor.
HyperRAB is not available on consignment through Grifols. Some specialty plasma distributors offer HyperRAB on their consignment programs. Check with your distributor for terms and conditions.
HyperRAB contains no preservatives and is not made with natural rubber latex.1